Whilst it may not plug and play, it’s still possible to use a PlayStation 3 computer on Windows 10. In this guide, we provide actionable steps you can follow to get your PlayStation 3 controller working on your Windows PC.
PlayStation 3 Controller Drivers
Before we start, you’ll need to download the correct PlayStation 3 drivers. We would recommend using Better DS3. This program will allow Windows 10 to use your controller, but it also comes with a variety of customizable settings and tools for button mapping.
You can download Better DS3 from this link
Configuration For PlayStation 3 Controller On Windows 10
Once you have downloaded Better DS3 and installed it on your Windows 10 PC, it’s time to go through the next steps to prepare your PlayStation 3 controller.
By default, PlayStation controllers do not work on Windows 10 – this is something that the Microsoft guys have done to encourage Windows 10 users to pick up an Xbox One controller instead. Fortunately for you, it’s possible to bypass this restriction.
You will need to follow the steps below carefully to ensure your PlayStation 3 controllers works correctly on your Windows 10 PC.
- Click on the Windows Start button at the bottom left corner of your screen.
- Type settings in the search bar and click on the settings app that appears.
- Search for ‘recovery options’ and click on the option that appears.
- Under the ‘Advanced Startup,’ click the ‘Restart Now’ button.
- This will restart your PC and bring up a list of more advanced features.
- Once your PC restarts, click ‘troubleshoot.’
- Next, click ‘Advanced options.’
- After that, click on ‘Startup settings.’
- Your PC will now restart once again. This time, you’ll see a list of startup settings to choose from.
- Search for ‘Disable driver signature enforcement.’ You can switch it off by pressing the F7 key.
- Restart your PC.
Your Windows 10 PC will boot back into the standard interface. You can now use the Better DS3 program to set up your PlayStation 3 controller. Here are some quick set-up steps for you to follow:
- Click on your controller in the ‘Connect DS3 Controllers’ list.
- Click to activate the ‘Power off Bluetooth connected controllers after 5 minutes’ feature.
- Choose a New profile next to the ‘Selected Profile’ list.
- Click ‘Apply’
The profile type you choose will depend on your personal preference. You can choose between DirectInput, XInput, Keyboard/Mouse, or PCSX2. You should test out all four until you find which one suits you best.
That’s it! Your PlayStation 3 controller should now be ready to use across Windows 10 and throughout your favorite games on PC.