Are you having trouble with your versions of Windows 10 detecting an HDMI display? If this is the case, it may be due to an issue with your driver settings on Windows 10, or it could related to another issue.
In this guide, we will help you to troubleshoot your problems so that you can get your HDMI display to work with your Windows 10 PC or laptop.
Before we get started, make sure that the problem is related to your PC. Try your display with another device first. If you find that the problem is related to your PC, you can then follow the steps provided below.
Check the display configuration
Below, we have provided some steps on how you can check your display configuration. This can sometimes get a non-working HDMI display to start working again. Follow the steps carefully below.
- Right-click the desktop and choose “Personalize”
- Search for “Display Settings” and open up the Display Control panel
- Check that the other display (the HDMI TV) is shown as secondary display
- When needed, click “Detect” to detect the new HDMI TV
- Adjust parameters so that the TV will show up on your desktop again
To mirror the screen, instead of using that as extended desktop space, hit the Windows-P key shortcut and choose “Duplicate” to mirror the screen to your TV.
Update display drivers
It may be the case that you need to update your display drivers so that your PC can work with the display you’re trying to use. Thankfully, updating drivers has never been easier. Just follow the steps we’ve listed below.
- Open up the Device Manager and check for any Display Adapters
- Right-click the adapter and choose “Update Driver Software…”
- Let the Windows locate the drivers automatically. If no drivers can be found, you may need to find drivers online.
Firstly, you may need to use a disk that came with your display to install the right drivers. If your display did not come with a disk, search for your display model on Google. You should be able to find drivers from the manufacturer website.
To search for the right thing, first find your display model printed on your display, then search for it, followed by ‘drivers’. As an example, my display model is printed on the top right of my display. It’s the G2460PG. I can search Google for “G2460PG drivers” to find the relevant drivers for my display.
Alternatively, you can use a third party program like DriverEasy to automatically detect the drivers for your display. Use this as an alternative option if a Google search for your display model doesn’t return any useful results.